CTQS Newsletter

Looking back and looking forward: 2018 to 2019

by Yang Yang, Ph.D.
© 2019 Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies: all rights reserved.


Recently Dr. Ron Burr, our excellent editor-in-chief, reminded me that year’s end was rapidly approaching. It is hard to believe that 2019 is nearly on us. It is time, then, to think about what has been accomplished as we prepare for the new year.

All told, 2018 has been a very productive year. Each of the three 5-day intensive training retreats--the saber camp, the EBQT Essential and the EBQT for Anxiety and Sleep--were fully attended and enthusiastically received. Students at many different levels of preparation worked well together to “Elevate the mind, Strengthen the body, and Nurture the spirit.” And emerging from these instructional sequences were a number of excellent teacher training graduates who are now offering classes in their home communities.

In our ongoing workshops at Kripalu we have offered the EBQT for Mental, Physical and Spiritual Strength, the EBQT for Anxiety and Sleep, and Tai Chi and Qigong for Stress and Pain Relief. These workshops were so heavily enrolled that it brought out remarkable creativity in our hard working teaching assistants, and it introduced the need for large screen projection, which the Kripalu staff provided. At the final workshop in November we were delighted to see that 90% of the participants gave it a 5 star rating, and the remaining 10% gave it 4 stars.

I continue to offer training to cancer survivors at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. It is tremendously gratifying to see the effect of one hour sessions on the mood, energy, confidence and optimism of the participants.

As always, I am grateful for the wonderful variety of students in the New York Sunday class. Ever insightful, they provoke discussions on practice methods, push-hand, and on our functional meditation that bring benefit to all.

Last but not least, this year I conducted my first workshops in Zurich and Berlin. I was very impressed with the intelligence and hard work of those students. I quickly learned to say “stop,” otherwise they would not stop practicing.

Thanks to all our team members for a great year and for the kind support of their families. We look forward continuing to provide quality service to our community in 2019.


Image of Dr. Yang sitting



To leave a comment, login with Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, or Facebook accounts.


©2004-2019 Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies.